There are just a few universities where students can study in Singapore without IELTS. International students are typically required to submit a valid score from a recognized English language proficiency test, such as the IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE, to study in Singapore.
Some universities in Singapore may accept alternative proof of English proficiency, such as a high school diploma or degree from an English-medium institution, or completion of a university-level English language program.
It’s important to note that the requirements for proof of English proficiency may vary depending on the institution and program of study, so students should check with their intended university to see if they offer any alternative pathways to meet the English language requirements.
It’s also important to keep in mind that even if an institution accepts alternative proof of English proficiency, it may still be beneficial to take an English language proficiency test to demonstrate to potential employers or graduate schools that you have a high level of English language proficiency.
Table of Contents
Why Study in Singapore?
There are several reasons why studying in Singapore can be a great choice:
- World-class education: Singapore has a strong reputation for offering world-class education, with many universities ranked among the top in the world. Singaporean universities are known for their research-oriented and innovative teaching methods, which can provide students with a high-quality education.
- Diverse student community: Singapore is a multicultural society with a diverse student community, providing students with the opportunity to meet and learn from people from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Safe and secure environment: Singapore is known for being one of the safest cities in the world, with low crime rates and a stable political environment. Students can feel safe and secure while studying in Singapore.
- Vibrant and cosmopolitan city: Singapore is a dynamic and cosmopolitan city with a rich culture and heritage. Students can enjoy a wide range of activities and experiences, from exploring local cuisine to visiting cultural landmarks.
- Gateway to Asia: Singapore is a gateway to Asia, with easy access to other countries in the region. This can provide students with the opportunity to explore other cultures and expand their global perspective.
- Employment opportunities: Singapore is home to many multinational companies and has a strong economy, providing students with excellent employment opportunities after graduation.
How to Study in Singapore without IELTS?
To study in Singapore without IELTS, you can consider the following options:
- Apply to English-medium universities in Singapore: Some universities in Singapore may offer exemptions from IELTS or other English language proficiency tests if you have studied in an English-medium school or university in your home country. You can check the admission requirements of your desired universities to see if they have such exemptions.
- Take alternative English proficiency tests: Apart from IELTS, other English language proficiency tests are accepted by universities in Singapore, such as TOEFL, PTE, and CAE. You can take any of these tests to prove your English language proficiency.
- Complete an English language course: You can also consider enrolling in an English language course in Singapore to improve your language skills and prove your proficiency. Some universities in Singapore offer their own English language courses, while there are also private language schools that offer English courses.
- Study in your native language: If you speak a language other than English, you can consider applying to universities in Singapore that offer courses in your native language. However, keep in mind that most courses in Singapore are taught in English, so your options may be limited.
It’s important to note that each university in Singapore may have different requirements for English language proficiency, so it’s best to check their individual requirements before applying.
Cost to Study in Singapore
The cost to study in Singapore can vary depending on several factors such as the type of institution, the program of study, and the student’s lifestyle choices. Here are some estimated costs for studying in Singapore:
- Tuition fees: Tuition fees in Singapore vary widely depending on the university and program of study. Public universities like the National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University are generally less expensive than private universities, but tuition fees for international students can still range from SGD 12,000 to SGD 50,000 per year or more.
- Accommodation: Accommodation costs in Singapore can also be quite high, with on-campus dormitories ranging from SGD 200 to SGD 1,000 per month, and off-campus options ranging from SGD 500 to SGD 2,000 per month or more.
- Rental (University Halls of Residence) – SDG 285-420
- Living expenses: Living expenses such as food, transportation, and entertainment can vary widely depending on the student’s lifestyle choices. Students can expect to spend around SGD 750 to SGD 2,000 per month on these expenses.
- Bus/Transport (Concessional) – SGD 120
- Miscellaneous expenses: These can include health insurance, visa application fees, textbooks, and other academic supplies, which can add up to several thousand dollars per year.
- Meals (at university hostel) – SGD 150-800
- Public trains (Concessional Pass) – SGD 120
Study programs offered in Singapore for students without IELTS
It’s important to note that these are just rough estimates, and students should research and compare the costs of different universities and living options in Singapore before making a decision. Scholarships and financial aid may also be available to help offset the costs of studying in Singapore.
There are a variety of study programs offered in Singapore for students who do not wish to take the IELTS exam. Here are some options:
- Foundation programs: Many universities in Singapore offer foundation programs that prepare students for undergraduate study. These programs typically focus on improving students’ English language proficiency and academic skills.
- English-language programs: There are many programs in Singapore that are taught entirely in English, including undergraduate and graduate programs in business, engineering, computer science, and other fields. If you have completed your previous education in English, you may be exempted from taking an English proficiency test.
- Bridging programs: Some universities in Singapore offer bridging programs that are designed to help students improve their English language skills before beginning their academic program.
- Preparatory courses: There are a variety of preparatory courses offered in Singapore that are specifically designed for international students who need to improve their English language proficiency before beginning their academic program.
- Research programs: If you are interested in pursuing a research degree in Singapore, there are many opportunities available in areas such as science, engineering, and business. These programs may have specific English language proficiency requirements, but there may be alternative tests that are accepted instead of IELTS.
Universities in Singapore to Study without IELTS
Unfortunately, all universities in Singapore require international students to demonstrate proficiency in the English language, and one of the standard ways to do this is by submitting scores from English languages proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE.
- National University of Singapore
- SIM Global Education
- Curtin Singapore
- Technical University of Munich Asia
- S P Jain School of Global Management
- James Cook University
- Management Development Institute of Singapore
- PSB Academy
- Kaplan Higher Education Academy
- Nanyang Institute of Management
- East Asia Institute of Management
- Raffles Design Institute
- William Angliss Institute
- Educare Global Academy
Technical University of Munich Asia (TUM Asia) is a world-class university located in Singapore that offers high-quality technical education without requiring the IELTS exam. Established in 2002, TUM Asia is a partnership between the Technical University of Munich in Germany and Singapore’s National University of Singapore. It is the first German academic institution to be established outside of Europe and the first university in Singapore to offer German engineering degrees.
TUM Asia provides a diverse range of undergraduate and graduate programs in engineering, technology, and business. The university’s programs are designed to meet the growing demand for skilled professionals in various fields, including aerospace engineering, computer science, industrial chemistry, and more. TUM Asia also offers an Executive Master of Business Administration program, which provides students with a comprehensive understanding of business administration and management.
SIM Global Education is a highly respected university located in Singapore. It is an institution that has built a strong reputation for academic excellence, innovation, and student satisfaction. One of the unique features of SIM Global Education is that it offers admission to international students without the need for them to take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination. This is a significant advantage for many students who wish to pursue their studies in Singapore but may have difficulty meeting the IELTS requirements.
By waiving the IELTS requirement, SIM Global Education opens up opportunities for students who may not have access to English language tests in their home countries. This policy also makes the admission process more accessible and flexible, enabling students to focus on their academic pursuits instead of worrying about English proficiency tests. SIM Global Education ensures that students are still able to demonstrate their English language proficiency through other means, such as interviews or essays.
Curtin Singapore is a highly reputable university in Singapore that provides students with a world-class education. One of the benefits of studying at Curtin Singapore is that it is possible to apply without an IELTS score. This is a great option for students who may not have had the opportunity to take the IELTS exam or who did not score well on it.
Curtin Singapore offers a wide range of courses across various disciplines, including business, engineering, information technology, and health sciences. The university has a team of highly qualified and experienced faculty who are dedicated to ensuring that students receive the best possible education.
The curriculum is designed to be practical and hands-on, which means that students are exposed to real-world scenarios and can apply what they learn in the classroom to their future careers.
Technical University of Munich Asia (TUM Asia) is a world-renowned research university located in Singapore. It is one of the top universities in Asia, known for its excellence in science, engineering, and technology. TUM Asia was founded in 2002 in collaboration with the National University of Singapore (NUS) and is the first German academic venture abroad.
TUM Asia offers a range of undergraduate and graduate programs in various fields, including engineering, science, and technology. Students can choose from programs such as Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, Master of Science in Industrial Chemistry, Master of Science in Integrated Circuit Design, and many more.
TUM Asia’s faculty members are world-renowned experts in their respective fields, and they bring their expertise and experience to the classroom. The university also has state-of-the-art facilities, including laboratories and research centers, which enable students to gain practical experience in their respective fields.
TUM Asia also offers various scholarship programs to deserving students, such as the TUM Asia Merit Scholarship and the TUM Asia Partner Scholarship. These scholarships provide financial support to students who have demonstrated academic excellence and the potential to contribute significantly to their respective fields.
S P Jain School of Global Management is one of the leading universities in Singapore that offer programs without the requirement of IELTS. The university is known for its innovative approach to education and its focus on providing students with a global perspective on business management. It is an excellent choice for students who are looking for a top-ranked institution that provides a world-class education.
The university offers a range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and executive education programs in the fields of business, management, and technology. These programs are designed to equip students with the knowledge, skills, and experience they need to succeed in the global business environment. The curriculum is designed to be highly practical, with a focus on real-world scenarios and case studies.
Documents required to study in Singapore without IELTS
If you want to study in Singapore without taking the IELTS exam, there are several options available to you.
- English Language Proficiency Tests: While IELTS is the most common English proficiency test, there are other tests that are accepted by universities in Singapore. Some of these tests include:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- PTE (Pearson Test of English)
- CAE (Cambridge English: Advanced)
- English Medium of Instruction: If you have completed your previous education in an institution where English was the medium of instruction, you may be exempted from taking an English proficiency test.
- Interview: Some universities may conduct an interview with you to assess your English proficiency.
- Previous Qualifications: If you have completed your education in a country where English is the official language or if you have a degree from an English-speaking institution, you may be exempted from taking an English proficiency test.
- Bridging Programme: Some universities in Singapore may offer a bridging program that will help you improve your English language skills before you start your academic program.
In terms of the documents required, the specific requirements may vary depending on the university and the program you are applying for. However, in general, you will need to provide the following:
- Academic Transcripts: You will need to provide transcripts of your previous education.
- Degree Certificate: You will need to provide a certificate of your highest degree.
- Passport: You will need to provide a copy of your passport.
- Personal Statement: You will need to provide a personal statement outlining your reasons for wanting to study in Singapore and your academic and career goals.
- Letters of Recommendation: You may need to provide letters of recommendation from academic or professional referees.
- Application Fee: You will need to pay an application fee when you apply to the university.
- English Proficiency Test Results: If you have taken an English proficiency test, you will need to provide the results.
- Other Documents: Some universities may require additional documents such as a CV, work experience certificates, or a research proposal.
It is recommended to check the specific requirements of the university and the program you are applying for before submitting your application.
Study without IELTS